|My brother and his wife learned a hard
lesson this last week. Their house burned down...nothing left but ashes.
They have good insurance, so the home
will be replaced and most of the contents. That is the good news.
However, they were sick when they found out the cause of the fire.
The insurance investigator sifted through
the ashes for several hours. He had the cause of the fire traced to the
master bathroom. He asked my sister-in-law what she had plugged in in
the bathroom. She listed the normal things....curling iron, blow dryer.
He kept saying to her, "No, this would be something that would
disintegrate at high temperatures."
Then, my sister-in-law remembered she had
a Glade Plug-in in the bathroom. The investigator had one of those
"Aha" moments. He said that was the cause of the fire.
He said he has seen more home fires
started with the plug in type room fresheners than anything else. He
said the plastic they are made from is a THIN plastic. He said in every
case there was nothing left to prove that it even existed. When the
investigator looked in the wall plug, the two prongs left from the
plug-in were still in there.
My sister-in-law had one of the plug-ins
that had a small night light built in it. She said she had noticed that
the light would dim....and then finally go out. She would walk in a few
hours later, and the light would be back on again. The investigator said
that the unit was getting too hot, and would dim and go out rather than
just blow the light bulb. Once it cooled down, it would come back on.
That is a warning sign.
The investigator said he personally
wouldn't have any type of plug in fragrance device anywhere in his
house. He has seen too many burned down homes. Something to be aware of.